Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Church Baseball

Living in the sticks we had no organized baseball, they did have Little League in town but we didn't live in town. We did however have a church league that was for all the males from age 6 to 60. Church membership was so small we had to use everybody to field a team.

Three churches played each other, Tinsley, Oil City, and Bentonia. All three fields were nothing more than a pasture, no backstops, pitchers mound or dugouts

I was the only small kid on our team, the rest of the guys were old teenagers and adults. I played second base, just because in the event I should knock something down the throw to first base was short. The other teams showed me no mercy at all. They pitched to me just like they did the rest of the players. Hey it was a easy out. This is when I was 8, 9, and 10 years old. Trying to hit adult pitching was a hugh challenge. I did every now and then get some wood on the ball.

It all paid off later.



Subscribe in a reader

No comments: